Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Pixie/Box Braids on Natural Hair (No Extensions!)

For a while now, I have been wanting to do pixie/box braids using my own hair, and the inspiration came from watching vids on youtube, and this past Sunday, I got the courage to try doing them.

I went about my Sunday schedule as usual, I tried prepooing with Vegetable Shortening (Crisco), which turned out to be a total disaster! I could not get water hot enough and it solidified in my hair. I eventually got most of it out, I then did a cayenne treatment for three hours without heat, with a plastic cap. I clarified after with VO5 Herbal Escapes Clarifying Kiwi Lime, conditioned with VO5 Herbal Escapes Free Me Freesia.

(Comparing VO5 Free Me Freesia to Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut, out of the two, I think I liked the Suave better. They both did fairly well at detangling my hair with the help of my wide tooth comb, and came out soft after rinsing, but Suave gave my hair a little poof/body, where VO5 FMF left my hair flat, still both very good conditoners, and cheap, VO5 Shampoo's and Conditioners can range between .79- 1.49 USD depending where you purchase, I have not seen Suave that cheap, but it can range between 1.00 to 3.50 USD, depending on what 'flavor' you get) (There are different lines on the Suave Brand which is why prices vary)


I deep conditioned with Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol for an hour, with a plastic cap, without heat. (My hair does not always come out soft after using this dc, so I'm not sure if I will repurchase, perhaps it could be better if I added oil to it, we'll see)


After dcing, I rinsed, and I oiled my scalp with a mixture (in an applicator bottle) of Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil (ABUHO), and Lavender Jamaican Black Castor Oil (L)(JBCO).

 To make use of the Softee Mango Butter that has been collecting dust on my shelf (due to petroleum being it's first ingredient) On the directions, it states that it can also be used as a heat protectant, so that is exactly what I used it for. I blow dried my hair, and then got to braiding. While blow drying, I used a comb, and made sure that my ends were dried completely, and detangled, I was able to check this by seeing if I could comb through my hair without it snagging.

Since my scalp was already oiled up, and I had a VO5 HE FMF, and Softee Mango Butter on my hair (not on scalp), I did not need any added moisture.

All I used was a comb to part. I would say it took 7-8 hours over the course of two days, of course while doing other things here and there, I could never stand/sit still for that long. I started with the front, so that just in case I did not like how it turned out, I would not be forced into completing the style. I completed last night.

I put my pixie braids into six plaits, and put on a satin scarf and just undid the braids the following morning.

Here are the Results









 Until Next Time, Naomi ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe and Comment! Share your opinions, knowledge or questions, or all three!

Popular Posts