Thursday, February 2, 2012

Feature February- Meet Alicia

Yes y'all I am doing it! (Lol)   I could not wait until February to do these Features!

 Today's Feature is actually a good friend of mine I meet over on my home forum; Black Hair Planet.  Remember Secret Santa? She was mine! Lol. So she was the one who gave the review on my Bebe Shea'loe, so I thought hey, why not feature her! (LOL) She really is a good friend of mine though, we began our HHJ around the same time so I know her journey is one worth The highs and lows are what makes each individual story unique...

So I would love nothing more for you guys to learn hers!  =)





If you don't mind, where are you from, and what are you repping now?
A: I was born and raised in Massachusetts but I've been living in Georgia for 12 years.

How is the natural scene there?
A: The naturals are in great abundance in Metro Atlanta. There is not a day that goes by where I won't see at least 1 natural....In fact I usually see more than 3 a day. see lots of ladies who are just starting out on their journey with TWA's or longer. It is a wonderful feeling to know so many ladies are trying a different route in caring for their hair.

Was that a determining factor that lead you to go natural?
A: No. I didn't see as many naturals around when I first started transitioning. The final straw for me was being tired of finding someone I trust to give me a relaxer. I didn't trust salons and my friend who normally relaxed my hair moved away. I was already 5 months post and instead of searching for someone to do my hair; I decided to continue on relaxer free and try natural. It was always something I said I would like to try.

Did you automatically do a Big Chop, or did you transition and what made you chose that route?
A: My initial goal was to transition for 18 months. I was afraid of what I would look like with short hair. A little after a year, I was over the transition. I was tired of fighting the two textures and was too anxious to see my true texture. So I BC'd after 13 months.


How long have you been natural?
A: It will be 2 years on February 9th. I have been relaxer-free for 3 years.

Do you follow Andre Walker's hair typing system? If so, what do you consider your hair type to be?
A: I do follow Andre Walker's hair typing system. My hair is 3C/4A.


Is caring for your natural hair any different  or more difficult, in comparison to when you were relaxed?
A: I think that caring for natural and relaxed is hard work. When relaxed, I spent a great deal of time straightening my hair, and keeping my hair straight. And the whole relaxer process was a nuisance for me. With natural hair, the detangling, and styling keeps me quite busy. But if I had to absolutely choose, I would say that caring for my natural hair is less difficult. I style my hair in twists so that I don't have to manipulate it too much. In the mornings I literally get up, and go.

Have you had any setbacks?
A: Yes, lol. After I BC'd I did not cut, trim, dust my hair for almost a year! I went a year and a half with only 1 trim! I had about 4 inches of dead ends that were just hanging there. Not even my best moisturizers and oils could penetrate into these ends. They had to go so I cut my hair from APL back to almost SL. But I have come a long way since then. I am now BSL. I also struggle with a never ending battle with my edges. They are on the thin side and are very sensitive. I keep my hair twisted 80% of the time to avoid having to pull my hair back tightly.

Do you follow a set regimen, if so what are your staple products?
A: I do follow a regimen that I've been experimenting with over the past couple months. Many may not agree with my regimen but so far it seems to work for me. I wash my hair every 3 weeks with a Sulfate Shampoo like TreSemme Moisture Rich. I DC every 3 weeks after my wash with coconut oil mixed into either Lustrasilk Cholesterol Shea Butter & Mango, Silk Elements Megasilk, or Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating-Calming Conditioner. I rinse and will moisturize with either Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner or a homemade spritz. Later that day or the next day I start twisting using SheaMoisture Curl Enhancing Smoothing or Curl & Style Milk and ORS Lock and Twist Gel. Sometimes I like to apply my castor oil mix on my ends. I use a lot of product when I twist because I can't re-moisturize while my twists are in or I will experience heavy frizzing. I wear the twists for 2 weeks and the twistout for 3-4 days. Then I will cowash with Trader Joe's (and also moisturize with it) and a couple days later start the process all over again!

Is there any tips, tricks, or advice you would like to offer to someone who is thinking about transitioning or doing the Big Chop?
A:  1. Invest in lots of conditioner, lol.
2. Understand that transitioning is not a walk in the park. It takes work and can get very challenging. At the same time it is very rewarding in the long run. As long as you stay focused and keep a realistic goal, anyone can do it! Transitioning is one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Where can we find you?
A: I am always on Black Hair Care Forum (forum.blackhairplanet.com). Otherwise, you can find me at http://public.fotki.com/ac22ford/





No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe and Comment! Share your opinions, knowledge or questions, or all three!

Popular Posts