Thursday, September 30, 2010

Natural Hair In The Work Place



I've come to realize that this is subject that is always being debated among naturals,relaxed, and texlaxed sistas alike. After becoming natural, I realized how taboo it is for naturals to rock a fro in the office. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with someone who is natural to color or straighten their hair (every once in a while), but I find that many naturals are uncomfortable wearing their hair as is to an interview or to the office and I understand completely.

I went to an interview not too long ago, and all the staff (from what I could tell), were Caucasian, which did not bother me. My hair gotten a little wild during the day, but I wore my hair in a braid out, with a headband. It still looked neat for the most part. I was interviewed by two people, and from the impressions I received from both, I assumed I had a good chance of getting the position, but for some reason, I feel like how I wore my hair had a lot to do with why I did not get hired. Of course there is no way of knowing this for sure, but that is my take on it, because was more than qualified for the position.

I for one, find it really hurtful, that those from other races, including some naturals/relaxed people feel that natural African American hair is inappropriate in the work place. Of course I know there are people out there who could care less how I chose to grow or wear my hair, and I am most thankful for those people! However, there are those who are not so forgiving. I believe it is that way because African American's have been relaxing our hair for so long, to cater to what society feels is acceptable (of course now it really can be just a preference) it is like people forgot what it looks like naturally. I find that the only way it is, is if  your hair is type 3 and above, and because of this, it has caused a lot of inner hate in the African Comunnity. In my opinion this is where the "Curly/Straight hair is good hair" mentality came from.

Of course I cannot speak for everyone, and I know not all feel this way, and chose to relax just because it is a preference. I think that is perfectly fine, but I do not like that some feel it is the only way, or that African American hair cannot grow if it is not relaxed, among many other silly stereotypes that are out there.

What has also come to my attention is that those with locked/dredlocked hair are not accepted or discriminated against as well, on my home forum, we were discussing an article about a teen in Floria was banned from attending his homecoming because of his locks. They said it went against school policy, however, this so called policy was not actually written, so in other words, it did not exist, although it is commonly enforced. In the article the teen stated "I thought it was acceptable, but from what the principal told me homecoming is of a higher standard and dreads are just not acceptable."

I feel like we were all made and look different for a reason, and by society only accepting straight hair, it makes it so that we all look the same. We were created differently for a reason, but we should all be treated equally. Is that not what we fought so hard for, yet, we are still being discriminated against. My question is, will it ever stop?

Since that is a question that cannot be answered, I feel that at the end of the day, we have to live with the people we chose to be, and the decisions we make at the end of the day, and I say do what makes you happy, or comfortable, you can't live your life for others. Anyway, that is just my opinion on the matter. You guys are more than welcome to tell me your take on the situation, good or bad. I just feel like it is something I needed to bring to light.


Until Next Time, Naomi~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe and Comment! Share your opinions, knowledge or questions, or all three!

Popular Posts